Contact us today!
Geosynthetic Clay Liners are factory fabricated, thin layers of naturally occurring bentonite clay, generally sandwiched between two geotextiles, or alternatively bonded to a geomembrane. The product is often needle-punched, stitched, fibreglass reinforced or physically bonded to assist with structural integrity. GCL’s are often used as part of a composite liner system in conjunction with a geomembrane, as well as in isolation. GCL’s suit a range of environmental and containment applications, especially when absolute performance is critical and when unwanted penetration risks are present. GCL’s are generally used in preference to compacted clay, due to their superior performance and cost effectiveness.
- Landfill basal and slope lining material when native clay is unavailable or below spec
- Landfill caps
- Raw water dams
|Property||Test Method||MQC Frequency||Units||ELCOSEAL Grade X1000|
|GCL Hydraulic Properties|
|Hydraulic Conductivity, k||MaxArv²||ASTM D 5887||40,000m²||m/s||2.8 x 10¯¹¹|
|Typical3||1.6 x 10¯¹¹|
|GCL Components - Mass|
|Cover Nonwoven Geotextile Mass per unit area||MARV⁴||AS 3706.1||10,000m²||g/m²||270|
|Bentonite Mass per Unit Area @ 0% moisture content||MARV||ASTM D 5993||2,500m²||g/m²||4,000|
|Carrier / Composite Geotextile Mass per Unit Area||MARV||AS 3706.1||70,000m²||g/m²||110|
|Geotextile Configuration (Carrier / Cover)||W / NW|
|GCL - Mass|
|GCL Total Mass per Unit Area @ 0% moisture content||MARV||ASTM D 5993||2,500m²||g/m²||4,380|
|GCL - Strength Properties|
|Strip Tensile Strength (MD)⁶||MARV||ASTM D 6768||10,000m²||kN/m||8|
|CBR Strength||MARV||AS 3706.4||25,000m²||N||1,600|
|CBR Enlongation||MARV||AS 3706.4||25,000m²||%||15|
|GCL - Shear Strength Properties|
|Hydrated Peak Internal Shear Strength @ 10 kPa Normal Stress||Typical⁷||ASTM D 6243||Periodic||kPa||30|
|Hydrated Peak Internal Shear Strength @ 30 kPa Normal Stress||Typical||ASTM D 6243||Periodic||kPa||50|
|GCL Longitudinal Edge Treatment|
|Bentonite impregnation - Width ≥ 300mm -Typical||ü|
|GCL Roll Dimensions|
|Roll Dimensions (Width x Length)||m||4.7 x 35|
|Maximum Roll Mass||(Weighed every roll)||kg||1,000|
|GCL Spreader Bar Requirement||-||Heavy Duty⁸|
1. MCQ = Manufacturing Quality Control - an ongoing system that monitors and tests materials during manufacture to ensure complicance with certification documents and contract specifications.
2. MaxARV = Maximum average roll value - a MaxARV is defined as the mean or Typical values plus 2 standard deviations. Mathematically, it is implied the 97.5% of the results of the tested specimens will be less than the MaxARV. A MaxARV provides a confidence level of 97.5%. Note - In reference to GCL permeability, LOWER IS BETTER.
3. Typical = A typical value is the arithetic mean of a set of results. This implies the 50% of the tested specimens will typically exceed this value and 50% will typically not meet this value.
4. MARV = Minimum Average Roll Value - a MARV is defined as the Mean or typical value less 2 standard deviations. Mathematically, it is implied that 97.5% of the results of thee tested specimens will exceed the the MARV. A MARV provides a confidence level of 97.5%
5. W = Woven, NW = Nonwoven
6. MD = Roll Machine Direction
7. Peak Value reported at 10 kPa or 30kPa normal stress. (The reported values are not intended to replace site specific internal shear or interface friction testing required for design)
8. Heavy Duty WLL (Working load limit) = 1400kg
9. Standard WLL = 1000kg
* The information contained herein is provided for reference purposes only and is not intended as a warranty of guarantee. Final determination of suitability for use contemplated is the sole responsibility of the user. Jaylon is not responsible if specifications are incorrect or product differentiates.